Re: Time stamping securely

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 10:00:20 PDT

    On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 06:08:56PM +0200, Paul Gillingwater wrote:
    > With all the discussion on validating timestamps, I was thinking about
    > a cryptographic approach to signing data in such a way that the time
    > it was signed could be validated.

    > Does anyone know if there is a standard for this?

    There is no standard for this -- timeline entanglement is still a
    research topic. A fairly recent paper on the subject was published
    in usenix security '02 -- if you are interested in providing validated
    timestamps, this would be a good paper to start with. (Especially since
    it has a bibliography. :)

    Secure History Preservation through Timeline Entanglement
    Petros Maniatis and Mary Baker, Computer Science Department, Stanford
    University

    http://www.usenix.org/events/sec02/maniatis.html

    (It may be available for non-usenix members elsewhere.)

    --
    Outlook users: please do not put my email address in your address book.
    This way, when you get infected with a virus, my address won't appear in