Re: More info on dd? -

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 10:35:07 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:28:38AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
    > -- am just saying dd is good for copying partitions that are mostly
    >    full ... if the partition is 10% used... you'd be copying 90% of stuff
    >    that is never needed/used

    ... and perhaps the idea of the forensics includes trying to discover
    files and their contents that have been deleted. tar(1) has its uses,
    dd(1) has its uses, and they sometimes overlap, sometimes not.

    > yup.... if one creates a file "this is a file"  in foo.txt
    >
    > the remaining 500 bytes of the block is left unused ... lots of
    > room for hacking code to be piggy backed  and undetected

    (It is often worse than this; filesystems such as ext2 will dedicate
    three more disk blocks to the file, even though the file doesn't yet
    need the blocks... some other unix filesystems can allocate disk block
    units for small files, but some "common wisdom" suggests that it isn't
    worth the extra filesystem code and special cases required to make it
    work...)

    > i do NOT know anybody that does a bad-block check on tehir disks
    > before they use it

    You can put me at the head of the list of people who run bad-block
    checks on their drives -- spending a few hours to try to populate the
    bad-block table with bad-blocks _before_ putting data on those blocks
    sounds like a reasonable enough use of time to me.

    Cheers

    --
    http://sardonix.org/