RE: Future trends in computer forensics

From: Eoghan Casey (eoghan.caseyat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 11:27:36 PDT

    Harlan,

    Here is an example of Locard's exchange principle at work in the digital
    realm: An intruder gains unauthorized access to a Unix system from his
    Windows PC using a stolen account and uploads various tools to the Unix
    machine via FTP. The tools are now located on both the Windows and Unix
    systems. The MD5 value of these tools will be the same and some of the
    date-time stamps and other characteristics of the files on both systems
    may match.

    The Windows application used to connect to the Unix system (e.g., Telnet,
    SecureCRT, SSH) may have a record of the target IP address/hostname.
    Directory listings from the Unix system may be found on the intruder's
    hard drive if they were swapped to disk while being displayed on screen by
    Telnet, SecureCRT, SSH, etc. The stolen password is probably stored
    somewhere on the intruder's system, possibly in a sniffer log or in a list
    of stolen accounts from various systems (so that he does not have to
    remember them). The FTP client used (e.g. WS_FTP) may create a log of the
    transfer of tools to the server.

    The Unix system may have login records and FTP xferlogs showing the
    connection and file transfers. Additionally, if the intruder tarred
    anything up on the Unix system and downloaded it to his PC, the tar ball
    may contain the stolen username and associated group.

    Between the two systems there may be related IDS alerts, NetFlow logs, and
    other logs showing the intrusion and file transfer. This is only a quick
    summary - there are likely to be many other exchanges of digital evidence
    cause by an intruder's activities in a given case.

    Regarding evidence dynamics (a topic near and dear to me), I do not see
    this as a developing trend. Evidence dynamics has always been and always
    will be a challenge that we must deal with. Extending the arson
    investigation/intrusion investigation analogy that I alluded to in my