RE: Remote Syslogd

From: John Fitzgerald (john@match-fit.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 09:22:09 PST

    I have previously piped syslog traffic through the serial port and
    captured it using a simple terminal emulation package - the terminal
    emulator didn't offer any opportunity for the attached system to get at
    previously logged information. Clearly, an intruder could stop the flow
    of further traffic, but that's the case with all these solutions.

    But even that solution, which is very similar to piping the info to a
    printer (without the reams of paper) seems unnecessary when it should be
    possible to adequately secure the syslog server. It can include basic
    packet filtering rules that only allow traffic destined for the syslogd
    (and no other traffic) from the monitored systems, indeed, it could even
    require that interactive access is only facilitated via a separate
    network.
    If only syslog traffic is allowed through, then the risk will be that
    there is an exploit on the syslogd code (such as a buffer overflow) but
    you can disable stack execution and chroot syslogd (assuming unix) to
    minimize the impact of these vulnerabilities. To prevent an 'exploited'
    syslogd amending stored logs then you may be able to set them to be
    append only (dependent upon the filesystem being used) and/or you could
    have a higher privilege daemon copying the logs to somewhere outside the
    chrooted area on a regular basis. Does anybody know of an application
    that is optimized for copying sequentially increasing files?