Re: 2 data recovery questions

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 17:39:14 PST

    On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 10:39:24AM -0600, Rod Hauser wrote:
    > 2) a 3.3V 64MB SmartMedia card that was filled up in the camera, but now
    > shows as blank (errors) both in the camera and in the FlashPath floppy
    > adapter.  . I downloaded a piece of software that said it might read it, but
    > it doesn't show any more data.  I've considered buying a USB adapter just to
    > try recovery one more way, but I do not have high hopes.

    Rod, I'd suggest trying our good old friend dd(1) on the smartmedia
    card.. combined with strings(1) or od(1), you might find out there is
    no data on it, some useful data, or all sorts of stuff worth further
    investigation. No need to let some snooty filesystem driver have all the
    fun. :)

    --
    Too bad life doesn't have a :q! command.