Re: 2 data recovery questions

From: Rod Hauser (rod42at_private)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 13:08:11 PST

    On Monday 11 November 2002 11:36 am, James Cadden wrote:
    > Rod,
    >
    > You described two pieces of digital media that were known to have data
    > on them, but when you examine them.....there is no data. What
    > methods/tools are you using to examine them?

    I had tried a piece of software called... photorescue. Downloaded a free
    trial version, and it didn't show me anything.  The `display raw graph`` of
    data option showed absolutely nothing, so I don't know if it was not reading
    anything, or if there is nothing there to read.  It did take some time to
    run, accessing the floppy (adapter).

    Using dd right now, but not getting anything off it.
    Trying to minimize the number of layers of abstraction between the device and
    being able to see the data.  The smartmedia card is currently in a FlashPath
    Floppy adapter, in /dev/fd0 on (one) linux box, but now luck:

    # dd if=/dev/fd0  bs=1 count=65535 of=./test.img
    dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out

    Trying some different mount options to see if I can mount the media. No luck
    there.

    > Is that SCSI part of a raid?

    No, it is a standalone disk. Usually they make a copy before transport, but
    that option was not available this time.
    Thanks for the advice so far.

    Rod

    --
    Rod Hauser, CISSP, LCA
    St Louis, Missouri, USA, Sol 3, Milky Way