Re: Possible forensic issue with grub and RH8.0

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 10:43:40 PST

    On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:46:12 PST, Hovis Chasteen <hchasteenat_private>  said:

    > title Red Hat Linux 8.0 (2.4.18-14)
    > 	root (hd0,1)
    > 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
    > 	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

    > I am not sure if this is new to 8.0 or grub but I did
    > not see this in RH7.3. If anyone has a better solution
    > or can explain LABEL to me, I’m all ears.

    Basically, LABEL works as follows:  each partition gets a 'label' attached
    to it, and it's stored on the actual partition.  So saying 'LABEL=/usr/foo'
    tells the system "whatever visible partition has that label on it".  It's
    really great for letting you boot even after recabling has changed hda to
    hdc, or if you use LVM or similar and the virtual partition name has been
    changed.

    It's hardly news - LILO and 'mount' have supported that for ages.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer