Re: Identifying Win2K/XP Encrypted Files

From: Simson L. Garfinkel (simsongat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 04:55:40 PST

    Although not guaranteed, encrypted files are files with high entropy
    that do not have a header indicating that they are a compressed with a
    recognized format.

    Truthfully, this approach will not recognize files that are compressed
    with unrecognized algorithms. But for all purposes, such files are
    actually encrypted.

    I have written a small program in the past that finds encrypted files.
    If you wish, I could dig it up and polish it off.