Re: Identifying Win2K/XP Encrypted Files

From: Christopher Howell (howellcat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 12:40:42 PST

    Just a note to the list - I tried the utility Craig suggested on my own Win2K box and it worked.  While it probably worked only because I didn't really need it, I'm reasonably satisfied to just deal with Win OS encrypted files when and if I find them in the course of an examination (as opposed looking for them before the machine is seized).

    Of course, this is only one minor victory.  As many have brought out in related posts, there is much open to question regarding the cost/benefit of limited examination of a live system before blindly pulling the plug.  Files encrypted using the Win OS is just one question.  I have yet to come up with the ideal set and order of steps to take to keep every possible base covered.  Whoever gets it first, please post it:)

    Thanks for everyone's comments.

    Chris.

    Christopher Howell
    State Investigator, ACCCI, ACCFT
    New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice
    Computer Analysis and Technology Unit
    609-984-9411
    howellcat_private

    >>> Craig Earnshaw <Craig.Earnshawat_private> 01/30/03 08:13AM >>>
    I would actually suggest a different method.  If you are tasked to seize
    a machine you should do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with it, apart from pulling
    the plug out of the wall if it's up and running.  Any actions that you
    perform on the machine could potentially destroy evidence and
    subsequently be used to suggest that you have tampered with the evidence.

    The best scenario for dealing with the Windows 2000 encrypted file
    system (EFS) is to seize the machine, image it with you imaging tool of
    choice (Safeback, EnCase, dd etc etc) and then restore the image onto a
    blank drive, replace the drive in the original machine with you new copy
    of the drive, and then boot using a Linux boot disk developed by Peter
    Nordahl (I think his name is) available from
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/.  This can be used to change
    the logon passwords for the users of the machine, and let you log into
    their accounts (there are some caveats to this, but they're set out on
    the site so I'm not going to duplicate them here).  Once you're logged
    into the accounts you are able to access all files stored within an EFS.

    Just my 2c - hope that it helps.

    Regards

    Craig G Earnshaw
    Head of Forensic Computing Services