Re: MD5 Exploit Database?

From: Bruce P. Burrell (bpbat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 12:40:56 PST

    In Forensics Digest 5 Issue 204, Barry Irwin <bviat_private> writes:

    > In essence what is needed is sone kind of reliable signature as used by
    > Virus scanners to ID viral malware, which may often mutate slightly,

       Or not so slightly.

    > but still retains an identifyable bit pattern.

       Sad to say, this is not always so: some viruses are extremely
    polymorphic, and their maps require algorithmic techniques.

    > Maybe some infpor on the guys in AV labs on how to best look for this?

       Hey, why not just use an antivirus scanner on the image?  I'd recommend
    using a "paranoid" scan, though, so that nothing it _can_ recognize is
    missed.  [One can use grep to get rid of the false positives, at least
    with the scanner I use.]

       Moreover, it's easy to keep these tools updated... in other words, no
    extra effort need be expended by *us*. :-)

       [I really doubt that the AV folks are going to make the details of
    their scanner algorithms -- after all, that's their bread and butter.  And
    using Open AntiVirus doesn't really solve the problem -- that detects only
    about 17% of the known malware out there, as I recall.  [Of course, the
    17% it *does* detect probably is more likely to be viruses one would
    expect to see -- but viruses aren't the main concern, I suspect: it's  the
    OTHER malware that concerns us here.]

    > Failing that, it shouldnt be too difficult to concoct a tool that can
    > look at some of the following charataristics and provide a weighted
    > rating of possible malware:
    >  - Filesize ( +- X number of bytes)
    >  - Magic values ( often these will just be ELF I'm sure)
    >  - Possibly look at the ELF structure of the file, count number of
    > program, headers, and Datasegments.  The DS should be the one that
    > changes when people rebuild with new IP's etc.  I've got code
    > somewhere that works out checksums for each elf object - possibly
    > match on the elf program segment checksum? - The good old strings
    > match?

       In other words, use well chosen heuristics.  Yes, indeed, but it's
    better to use that only after exact identification has been used by a
    current, top quality scanner.

       -BPB

    University of Michigan...
      AntiVirus Team Leader      <http://www.umich.edu/~virus-busters/>
      Data Recovery Team Leader  <http://www.umich.edu/~wwwitd/data-recovery/>
    PGP 2.6.2 key fingerprint:  0D A5 98 3C 91 DA E0 DD  9C 6D FA 8F 4D 34 95 ED