Re: Tracking a (potential) abuser?

From: Jason Powell (Jason.Powellat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 12:21:21 PST

    Some suggestions:

    1.) Manually reset passwords on all privileged (i.e., more than a
    "Domain User"). Positively identify every individual requesting a
    password change on those accounts.

    2.) Reset the local administrator password on all machines (Can this be
    done with AD?), ensure that only "Domain Admins" are members of the
    Local Admins group.

    3.) Mercilessly reduce the number of Admins in your domain.

    4.) Inspect each global group for permissions and membership.

    5.) If you can localize the misuse/abuse to a few workstations or
    servers, make judicious use of Spectorsoft Pro (monitoring software).

    JP

    /sig/
    Jason A. Powell, CISSP
    Senior Systems Analyst

    Children's Hospital Medical Center
    Information Services Security
    (513) 636-1499
    jason.powellat_private

    >>> "Ralph Los" <RLosat_private> 02/05/03 10:25AM >>>
    Hi all,
    	First time poster, long time lurker.

    	I'm doing some work for a school which has approx. 1,000 users
    (students + staff) sharing the same Win2k-AD network resources.
    Windows
    permissions, shares and passwords are obviously not strengthened (why
    would
    they be, that would make this easy!) so there are suspicions that
    students
    are running rampant on this network.  I was asked to come and
    investigate
    for signs of mis-use, abuse, or "hacking".  What I DID find was a
    student's
    directory which had *explicit deny* for the administrators group to
    all
    rights.  I had to go and "take ownership" to get a view into this
    student's
    directory.

    	Now, this is as close to a "smoking gun" as I have.  I'm trying
    "catch these student(s)" in the act but it's difficult because, as I
    said to
    the principal, how do I distinguish between an administrator using
    their
    account and a student who's guessed their password??

    	The real request here is this:  How would one go about analyzing
    live system like this?  I can't arouse too many suspicions as I was
    asked to
    catch the person/people involved in this activity.  Where would you
    start?
    (I've turned on Windows object auditing pretty heavily, but that's a
    monumental task sifting through all that data!!).  Any real-world
    experience
    or suggestions for a Win2k network would be most-appreciated!

    /Ralph/