Re: The "unplug the cord" dilemma

From: Albert Bendicho (bendiat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 17:46:42 PST

    On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:34, Omar Herrera wrote:
    > Finally, I was dreaming of a system which had a kind of forensic
    > hibernation mode; currently Im not aware of a system with this
    > capability (that would preserve memory an network connection sate while
    > freezing hard disks and, at the same time, being easy to do forensics on
    > it). If there is still no work in progress on this kind of systems I
    > would also like to discuss requirements for a standard that would allow
    > computer makers to include this capability on computer systems.

    Well, I'm not sure about all the technical details, but I think you have
    two options to investigate/develop;

      1) The "hibernate" function on some systems that saves all the machine
    status, including memory, in a file (my laptop has this feature, but
    there's no documentation AFAIK on the file's format). From a point of
    view on a "standard" for computer makers, well; perhaps it's already
    there?

      2) The "suspend" option on VMWare. The main and obvious problem whith
    this one is that you will hardly get a production server with such a
    configuration.

    	My 2 cents,
    	Albert Bendicho