Re: Time Differences/MAC Times

From: Stephen Samuel (samuelat_private)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 10:24:47 PDT

    As far as I can tell, if you have silence during one of the two
    hours on either side of a transition from daylight to standard
    times, you will have timestamps that are ambiguous as to which
    hour they occurred it. Otherwise, the discontinuity of time
    stamps can be used to determine unambiguously when an event
    occured in GMT.

    One way to ensure that timestamps are unambiguous would be
    to schedule something that creates a timestamp on either side
    of the boundary.  Of course, this raises the question of how
    'sleep 3600' is going to act across a Daylight/Standard time
    boundary on NT.

    Brian Carrier wrote:
    > Lisa,
    > If you create a file during daylight savings and get the details
    > during non-daylight savings, then it will be an hour early.  If the

    Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuelat_private
    		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/
    Powerful committed communication, reaching through fear, uncertainty and
    doubt to touch the jewel within each person and bring it to life.