FWD: Freely available UNIX email viewer, version 1.1, available

From: Ed Carp (ercat_private)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 09:06:51 PDT

    In the course of a domestic terrorism case I've been involved with, it
    became necessary to present email in electronic form so that non-technical
    field agents could read and interpret the contents of several emails without
    having to install a mail reader on the agent's machine, and without having
    to give them a field course in how to interpret the contents of a flat mail
    file.

    I spent about an hour and came up with a program that would read a flat file
    containing email messages, like you'd find in a UNIX or Linux mail spool
    file, and display the emails.  The reader consists of two panes - the
    left-hand pane contains a "From" listing, and the right-hand pane contains
    the actual email text (header display can be turned on or off, as desired).
    Above the text of each email is the From, To, Subject, and Date headers.

    The program is also available in installable form, for pre-Windows XP/2000
    systems that don't have the appropriate support files.
    ---------
    As someone mentioned in email, yes, I've been swamped with requests!  I
    didn't know it would be so popular :)

    I found a little time last night and this morning to make a couple of
    improvements to the code.  In addition to reading UNIX mail spools under
    Windows, the program will now read mail spools in UNIX format, so you don't
    have to convert them to Windows format first.  this, of course, preserves
    the evidence in the original format.

    Additionally, the program has been speeded up quite a bit, so you will see a
    big improvement on mail spool files over a megabyte or so.  I've tested it
    on mail spools as big as 32 MB - on a 900MHz machine with 384 MB of RAM, it
    takes about 30 seconds to load and parse that big of a mail spool.

    You can get the executable and source from
    http://www.escapade.org/software/MailViewer.zip - it's only 13K!

    I hope this is useful :)  If anyone has problems, **please** email me!
    Don't just delete the program and move on, because if
    you're having a problem, others might be, too, so it would be very helpful
    to know what the problem is :)

    The program has been run under Windows XP and Windows 2000, but there's
    really no reason why it shouldn't run under any 32-bit version of Windows.

    If you need all the DLLs and libraries and such, email me, I'll be happy to
    send them your way.  I'm on a dialup link to the net today, and the complete
    distro is almost 1.5 MB, that's why I haven't uploaded it :)
    --
    Ed Carp, N7EKG		ercat_private		214/986-5870 (cell, 24 hours)

    Director, Software Development
    Squished Mosquito, Inc.
    Pensacola, FL
    (yes, my Texas Peace Officer license is still active!) :)