Three new tools related to IDS, forensics, honeypots

From: SecurIT Informatique Inc. (securitat_private)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 13:32:38 PDT

    To moderators : I have received one notification already that my previous
    posts where too long, so here is a short version of it.  Thanks.

    Hello lists.  I'd like to annouce the release of my latests tools in the
    security game, and I think that the community will find them very
    interesting indeed.  For article lenghts consideration, here is a short
    resume of these tools.  The binaries and full documentation can be
    downloaded at http://securit.iquebec.com.  All these tools are available in
    Open Source and Pro versions.  Check the website for pricing.

    ComLog 1.05 : This tool is a command prompt (cmd.exe) logger, useful for
    generating intrusion evidence that was previously unavailable.  With this
    tool, you can log command prompt sessions be it from the console, a
    compromised IIS system or through a netcat tunnel.  This works a bit like a
    wrapper, ComLog taking the place of cmd.exe and passes the commands to be
    executed to the real cmd.exe which is renamed cm_.exe.  Version 1.05
    changes incude MS-DOS icon added to the executable, and better camouflage
    to avoid detection by the monitoree.  Pro version allows you to choose the
    filename for cm_.exe to anything you like, to make it even harder to
    detect.  It also allows you to specify pattern strings that you want
    obfuscated from the monitoree's output.

    LogAgent 4.0 : This tool is a log file monitoring  and centralisation
    tool.  You can use it to monitor the Event Viewer logs, and ASCII log files
    from just about any application, including, but limited to, antivirus,
    personal firewalls, ComLog, Snort, etc.  LogAgent 4.0 also comes with 2
    companion tools that are ADSScan and the combo HashGen and
    IntegCheck.  ADSScan is an alternate data streams scanner, and
    HashGen/IntegCheck is a MD5-SHA1 file system integrity checker, or also
    known as a host-based intrusion detection system.  The Pro version lets you
    run LogAgent as a service (registered only), and will start automatically
    ADSScan and IntegCheck for you each time it starts.  LogAgent 4.0 Pro also
    generated data of its own, which is related to the Running Services, the
    Open Shares, and the StartUp configuration, which can later be used as
    forensics evidence of intrusions.  LogAgent 4.0 Pro ships with a 5-machine
    evaluation license, no time-limit.

    LogIDS 1.0 : I think this tool will change the way people look at intrusion
    detection.  LogIDS 1.0 is a real-time, log-analysis based intrusion
    detection system.  As this description indicates, LogIDS 1.0 is able to
    analyze log files from various sources, and can be used with LogAgent 4.0
    to supply these log files.  The strenght of LogIDS comes from the fact that
    it is very flexible and it gains from the capabilities of the various tools
    you use with it.  You have the ability to tell LogIDS the format of each
    log file you supply it with, which then enables you to define rules for
    each of these log files, giving you one single interface to analyze and
    display all this data gathered from varied sources (Event Viewer, ComLog,
    antivirus logs, personal firewall logs, Snort logs, LogAgent 4.0 Pro Logs,
    ADSscan, IntegCheck, just to name a few examples).  The interface is also
    pretty innovative, the GUI is a logical representation of your network
    architecture, where each node (machine or subnet) possess its own window
    where logs belonging to it are displayed.  The GUI also sport several icons
    that can be used with the ruleset to graphically describe tha actions
    reported in the logs.  Sounds can also be emitted for alerts and
    warnings.  LogIDS 1.0 Pro contains built-in analysis for Snort, Event
    Viewer, and the data generated by LogAgent 4.0 Pro and its companion
    tools.  Pro version ships with a 5-machines evaluation license, no
    time-limit.  LogIDS 1.0 Pro licenses include a LogAgent 4.0 Pro license to
    allow it to run as a service.  Screen captures available at
    http://iquebec.ifrance.com/securit/image/figure1.gif and
    http://iquebec.ifrance.com/securit/image/figure10.gif.

    I hope these tools will help improve the security of networks out there in
    the wild.

    Thank you for your time

    Adam Richard, aka Floydman
    SécurIT Informatique Inc.