Remnants of .. Wiping??

From: Mark G. Spencer (dreadnoughtat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 11:22:13 PDT

    (Posted to SF Forensics and CFID)

    I've investigated cases involving the use of Evidence Eliminator and
    Z-Delete before and remnants of their installation were readily available.
    I'm working on a case now where I haven't found any obvious remnants
    (eectrl.bat and registry entries for EE for example) and am looking for some
    help ..

    I have a system (Win32) with over 1.1 million files created on the same day.
    These files show up in EnCase as 0 bytes, deleted and overwritten.  The
    filenames are all different, but appear to rotate in a methodical fashion.
    Three of the files show very large file sizes, between 500meg and 1gig and
    the only difference from the other million files (other than filesize being
    larger) is their extension, instead of being unique, are all .WIP.

    Any ideas?  I have not yet gone through the registry key by key, but have
    done quite a few sorts to try and find suspicious executables accessed on
    the date in question and have not yet found anything.

    Thanks,

    Mark