imaging apple disks

From: Michael Stone (mstoneat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 17:24:30 PDT

    Has anyone had success/failure imaging an oem disk from a new apple
    computer (e.g., an Xserve)? The disks look like normal ide disks, but
    I can't access them using the techniques I normally use for such
    devices. For example, when I attach one of these disks to a generic PC
    running linux it doesn't properly read the manufacturer & device info
    from the drive, doesn't negotiate dma and hangs if it is forced, and
    doesn't appear to be reading the proper data. A write-blocking firewire
    bridge that I usually use for ide imaging refuses to access the drive at
    all. Third party ide disks used in the mac's are readable, and disks
    from older mac's are also ok. But I've seen several cases now where the
    newer disks (IBM deathstars with a little apple logo on them) are just
    acting weird.

    Mike Stone