mounted NTFS image. -- no files seen

From: the lepkie (lepkieat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 09:53:59 PDT

    Any ideas as to why I can not see files of a mounted ntfs imaage?  The
    ntfs disk has two partitions (`fdisk -l /dev/hdc`)  I've made an image of
    both partitions (hdc1 hdc5).  I can mount both images but only see files
    in the mounted hdc5.

    If I mount the partition (/dev/hdc1) and cd in the mount
    point, I see files. Any thoughts on why the dd image does not appear
    to have files when I issue an ls.

    My commands:
    dd if=/dev/hdc1 conv=noerrors of=hdc1.img
    mount -r -o loop -t ntfs hdc1.img /mnt/hdc1
    mount -r -t ntfs -o loop /dev/hdc1 /mnt/real
    ls /mnt/real --> lots of files
    ls /mnt/hdc1 --> no files
    strings hdc1.img |less --> lots of data. I see a msword doc.

    I've also tried rda with --skip-errors which yields the same results.

    the dd stream reports a read error and continues. rda reports 'no bad
    blocks'

    Additionally, autopsy doesn't recognize the image either.