Re: Inside PIX?

From: Rudolf Schreiner (rasat_private)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 05:27:39 PDT

    On Thu, 14 May 1998 arkat_private wrote:

    > There was a posting in relcom.comp.security some days ago: one man
    > told he opened the PIX box and guess what was inside? Yep, you are
    > right. The generic chinese PC motherboard with Pentium CPU.
    > Not just some Pentium-based piece of hardware, but _PC_ motherboard.

    Telebit's Netblazer was a simple PC, with all the "nice" features of
    cheap PCs: Exploding power supplies and unreliable floppy disk drives. Many
    years ago I've seen a working Netblazer clone, you just needed the right main
    board and a copy of the Netblazer BIOS EPROM. A quite common trick was
    using cheap ethernet cards from the PC shop instead of the $$$ Telebit
    interfaces. I had to use a (original!!) Netblazer as a packet filter,
    Without much success, the simple routing between ethernet interfaces
    didn't work reliably.

    Rudi