RE: Port scans to UDP 161 (SNMP)

From: Max Euston (meustonat_private)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 12:14:54 PDT

    [First off: sorry for the delay in responding, I finally had a long weekend
    off!]

    Thanks to all who responded - especially H. Morrow Long
    <morrow.longat_private>!!!

    It seems that some W-95 machines (specifically laptops?) have HP JetAdmin
    installed incorrectly.  I talked to the owner of the machine and we found
    that the laptop in question had a subnet defined as "205.0.0.0"!  We
    changed this as described in http://web.mit.edu/network/hpfix.  It refers
    to registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ Software/ HP Jet Admin/ TCPIP (the
    tree from this point down seems to be version dependent, but you can easily
    find it).

    Thanks for the help!!!

    Max

    P.S. I seem to be getting more and more of these scans.  I think that I am
    just going to have to block them without logging them (poor signal/noise
    ratio).

    Max
    ---
    Max Euston <meustonat_private>