Re: Bypassing firewall

From: Darren Reed (darrenrat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 15:59:59 PST

    In some email I received from Marcus J. Ranum, sie wrote:

    > >The only context I can think of this making any sense is when you
    > >have an inside agent program that makes an SSL connection to an
    > >external host for the express purpose of providing access to systems
    > >on the inside (sort of like dial-back).
    >
    > You mean like if someone made a back orifice plug in or
    > something like that?

    Hmmm.  Not sure.  Let me explain.  If I somehow get an internal box with
    an agent installed which makes connections outbound on port 80 and only
    does so in response to a magic email message that I send, then it is
    highly likely a proxy will dump it if it's not HTTP.  Then again, if the
    end is effectly an in.rshd, compiled with SSL, and *connects* to my rsh
    process that listens on port 443 (again in response to a magic email),
    then no magic proxy can determine if it's HTTP or anything else.

    In the second case, the only way you *might* determine it's not HTTP is
    through packet analysis - HTTP doesn't send lots of short packets in
    both directions, in measurable levels of spurtiness.

    > >The `solutions' are not pretty: disable any protocol using encryption
    > >because the firewall cannot validate the message's integrity or force
    > >everything to be decrypted and re-encrypted as required to allow the
    > >message to be checked that it matches the right protocol.
    >

    > No, it's worse. The 'solution' is to disable any protocol
    > that issues connections which are not immediately tied to
    > an authentication that isn't performed by a computer.

    Is that sufficient ?  Users are pretty dumb, after all.

    Darren