Re: Term Explanation

From: Valerie Anne Bubb (bubbvaat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 15:49:10 PST

    > From: jmfreemaat_private
    > To: firewall-wizardsat_private
    > Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:56:44 +0100

    > I've been seeing a lot of information of various firewall products, and
    require
    > a bit of help from the people that know.  Can someone give me a brief
    > explanation of the following:
    >
    >    dynamic packet filtering
    >    stateful inspection

    dynamic packet filtering: the firewall "examines each data packet
    as it arrives.  Based on information in the packet, state retained
    from previous events, and a set of security policy rules, the
    firewall either passes the data packet, or blocks and drops it."

    stateful inspection: "Packet filter that bases its decision to allow
    or deny the packet using both the data in the packet and information
    (that is, state) saved from previous packets or events.  A stateful
    packet filter has memory of past events and packets."

    hth

    Valerie