Re: mitigating the lack of a firewall

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 14:15:55 PST

    As lastweek proved, if someone is intent upon DOSing yer connection,
    there's not too much you can do, and certainly nothing proactively, to
    prevent the service loss.

    As to IIS4.0 and NT, well, locking up such a system can be quite a chore,
    and some might argue a chore of impossiblilty.  A look at the BugtraQ
    archives on NT and IIS4.0 might make ya a tad queasy.  I personally feel
    NT is not up to the same tasking as uni* systems tend to be.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!