Re: Recent Attacks

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 09:20:29 PST

    Ryan Russell wrote:
    >I expect to see ransom demands (either the real attackers or just
    >opportunists) become announced to the press any time now.

    That'd be interesting because it'd clear up the issue of motivation!!

    I've always been bemused by the whole denial of service thing. It
    seems so pointless. It's just vandalism; not even as cool as virus
    writing, and virus writing is very uncool.

    If I was Bezos, I'd offer some amazon.com options for whoever
    turned in the culprit and sufficient evidence. Then I'd litigate
    the culprit back to the stone age, including his friends, parents,
    business associates, school, etc. - anyone involved. Crush 'em
    real hard, real mean, and real openly.

    mjr.