RPC, Portmapper binding and firewalls

From: Marcelo Barbosa Lima (marcelo.limaat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 21:30:32 PST

    Hi all,

    I am working with stateful packet filters and I'd like to know about RPC
    sessions.

    RPC normal communication sequence is:
    Client -----------------> POrtmapper
    Portmapper -----------> Client
    Client ----------------> Server
    Server----------------> Client

    All right !
    Yes, but at one second client 's query:

    Client look for portmapper server binding in its cache and (Do it look for
    binding?)
    client ------------> server
    server-----------> client
       .
       :

      Cache expires
     client-------------> Portmapper
      portmapper---> Client
      Client-----------> server
      Server-------> client

    Is it ok??????

    What is timeout of these bindings in client's cache for NFS clients, in this
    last case (if true, of course)?
    Regards,

                                                    Marcelo
                                    (marcelo.limaat_private)