Re: many attempts to Port 137 (NetBIOS-NameService)

From: Robert Graham (robert_david_grahamat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 17:58:19 PST

    I wouldn't be worried:
    http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#port137

    Are the source ports 137 as well? A 137->137 packet is almost certainly a
    request from a Windows machine, or a response. For example, you might have a
    machine internally sending out NetBIOS requests, and these might be the

    Alternatively, for some reason, these might be Windows machines trying to do a
    reverse DNS lookup on your machine. If the DNS server doesn't respond in a
    timely manner, Windows machines will give up and try a NetBIOS query to resolve
    your name. This is part of Microsoft's Winsock implementation, so it is an OS
    thing rather than an application thing. I know this is weird advice: check your
    DNS server, it may fix the problem.

    In any event, grab a packet sniffer (like tcpdump, which is probably installed
    by default on your Linux box) and capture the packets to a file. If you send me
    the file; I could probably figure out what these NetBIOS packets are looking
    for (warning: you would be disclosing sensitive info if you did this).

    Rob.

    =====
    Robert Graham  http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs