Re: Recent Attacks

From: Steven M. Bellovin (smbat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 15:50:12 PST

    In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.10002181352090.20196-100000at_private>, R
    yan Russell writes:

    > > >Hang on now, that's too easy an example.  I'm not THAT
    > > >lenient.  What I'm saying is that if Amazon normally
    > > >does 1M$/day, and on the day od the DDoS attacks,
    > > >they only do 800K$... but then do 1.2M$ the next day..
    > > >were there damages beyond investigative costs?
    > > >
    > > And E-trade, where *timing* matters a lot to their customers?
    > >
    > > 		--Steve Bellovin
    >
    > For E-trade, it makes a lot more sense that business would be lost that
    > would happen then and only then (well, mostly... I'm sure some folks will
    > still sell even after the stock dropped below what they meant to sell at.)
    > It makes sense to punish the attacker exta on behalf of the customers of
    > E-trade *IFF* E-Trade does something along those lines for normal outages.
    > (I think they've had some, and I don't think they did anything for the
    > customers, did they?  Hmm..lesse, our click-wrap agreement says "Screw
    > You.")
    >
    > All I want is for prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement to put some
    > intelligent thought into what the damages really were.  I still say the
    > attacker couldn't have done 1.2B in damages, and that's the "crucifixtion"
    > dollar amount.
    >
    > If someone decides that mapping out the Internet to produce nice-looking
    > graphs constitutes a criminal port-scanning attack, you would want to have
    > someone force the prosecutors to name reasonable damages, right?  You
    > wouldn't want some idiot fed saying "This guy attacked every single
    > machine on the Internet for severl years, and caused trillions in
    > damages."

    Absolutely.  I'm merely saying that denial of service can cost real money.
    That normal outages are a problem is between the customers and E-trade, with
    whom they have a contractual agreement.  They have none with whoever blocked
    the line.

    		--Steve Bellovin