Re: many attempts to Port 137 (NetBIOS-NameService)

From: Philip J. Koenig (pjklistat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 01:22:09 PST

    On 18 Feb 00, at 18:34, Chuck O'Donnell boldly uttered:

    > On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 05:29:16PM -0800, Bill Pennington wrote:
    > > My guess would be that this are harmless packets getting set to you by
    > > IIS servers and other NT based web reporting tools. Normally them come
    > > in groups of 3. IIS and other tools attempt to collect additional info
    > > from you when you access an IIS site. They do this via Netbios.
    > >
    > > However I am seeing hundreds on UDP/137 attempts from a single IP
    > > address in a very short period of time. I can't figure out why someone
    > > would want to do that since I am silently dropping them at the firewall.
    > > Must be some new toy the script kiddies have these days.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps! If anyone has a clue on the UDP/137 flood let me know.
    >
    > I see the random ones all the time from different IPs, which I agree
    > are normal. The destination address is usually a web server on our
    > network.
    >
    > But I do occasionally (couple times a week or so) see a flood of
    > packets to port 137, and running the length of one of our class C's as
    > the destination address. It would seem like a bulk scan for open
    > NetBIOS services.
    >
    > Chuck

    There is this stupid entity that sweeps through the whole
    net looking for open NetBIOS/SMB hosts, among other things.
    A colleague noticed a bunch of scans sweeping over one of
    his networks back in June, looked up the IP's, and discovered
    it's related to MP3 and/or other multimedia trading and
    was supposed to be a "service" for people trying to find
    where they could get such files.

    Here's their reply to the complaint.  These turkeys may be
    your culprit:

    > >> Date sent:      	aaa, xx Jun 1999 xx:45:09 -0700 (PDT)
    > >> From:           	Vince Busam <vinceat_private>
    > >> To:             	deletedat_private
    > >> Copies to:      	abuseat_private
    > >> Subject:        	Re: Apparent attack from your domain
    > >>
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> What you noticed was our crawler connecting to your SMB (Windows)
    > >> shares.  I have taken steps to ensure it does no attempt to connect
    > >> to you again.
    > >>
    > >> Scour.Net is a multimedia search engine that indexes files from three
    > >> protocols -- HTTP, FTP, and SMB. The connection you saw was one of
    > >> the SMB crawlers. If you do not have any SMB shares, the crawler will
    > >> disconnect. If you do have public shares, it will index multimedia
    > >> files located there.
    > >>
    > >> If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact
    > >> me.
    > >>
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >> Vince Busam
    > >>
    > >> -----------------------------------
    > >> Vince Busam
    > >> Chief Network Guru, Scour, Inc.
    > >> vinceat_private

    Nothing like the old "opt out" game:

    > Remove Host
    >
    > If you wish for your computer to no longer be a part of Scour.Net you
    > may remove yourself from our search. There is a link at the bottom of
    > this paragraph to do this, but first a couple notes. Please only remove
    > yourself if you really do not want to be part of Scour. Once you remove
    > yourself it usually takes a day or two before your site is completely
    > removed from Scour.Net. This is because of the time it takes to rebuild
    > and refresh a database. Additionally, our scanners follow the
    > Internet-standard robots.txt robot exclusion standard. Simply place a
    > robots.txt file in the root directory of a share or web server, and our
    > crawlers will follow the instructions therein. You can put yourself back
    > into the database without contacting us, so go ahead and knock yourself
    > out by clicking on the add/remove links all day!

    >From the www.scour.net press release page, notice the bigshot:

    > LOS ANGELES - June 10, 1999 - Michael Ovitz and Richard Wolpert,
    > partner in charge of Internet and technology ventures for The Yucaipa
    > Companies, continue to expand their Internet and entertainment
    > investment portfolio with the news today that they have acquired a
    > controlling interest in Scour.Net, the Web's leading search and digital
    > media guide for audio, video and images on the Net. The announcement
    > further confirms Michael Ovitz and Richard Wolpert's commitment to the
    > Internet and helps expand Scour.Net's rapidly growing broadband
    > entertainment offerings.

    Phil