RE: proxy-packet filter

From: Matt Bruce (matt.bruceat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 21:22:45 PST

    Well, technically, having both _still_ won't make it a firewall, but that's
    a bit of a religious argument. :)

    I'll use the common example of Squid and ipfwadm/ipchains. They're both free
    and come with just about every Linux distribution CD you can find.

    Squid uses Access Control Lists (ACLs) to control who can do what, based
    upon IP address/subnet, but it is generally intended for limiting HTTP[S]
    traffic for outbound browsing. At least, that's all I've ever seen it used
    for.

    ipchains (formerly ipfwadm) uses rules to control which
    IPs/subnets/ports/interfaces can send/receive packets. Things like the
    traditional firewall Anti-Spoof Rule, rules covering whether specific
    TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic can come in or go out, and the Default Rule can all be
    set up with ipchains and administered via console/telnet/ssh. If you have a
    24x7 connection to the Internet, you can append the ipchains script to your
    network script; but if you have a periodic dialup connection, you can add
    the script to your PPP dialup script.

    As they're free and are designed to do specific tasks, I can't really see
    why you wouldn't implement both. Couple this with sendmail relaying and you
    have a great low-cost "packet filtering Internet gateway" (commonly known as
    a "Linux firewall"). Just remember that you get what you pay for, so "great"
    is a relative term.

    While I do these sorts of things for my employer, I completely rebuilt and
    customised a RedHat 6.1 Linux box with Squid and ipchains last night for my
    home LAN in just under 3 hours. Who says low-end Pentiums were obsolete? :)

    HTH,

    Matt Bruce     <matt.bruceat_private>
    Security & Internet Engineer
    AlphaWest - http://www.alphawest.com.au/