Re: [fw-wiz] Open Source HTTP Proxy for Firewall?

From: Josef Pojsl (jpat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 00:34:16 PDT

    Jim,

    the most common open source http proxies are Squid and Apache's
    mod_proxy. However, both are caching proxies in the first
    place and don't include features you are used to from Gauntlet.
    (You mention Active-X filtering explicitely and neither
    Squid nor Apache can filter it, AFAIK.) Moreover, Apache's
    mod_proxy works only with version 1.0 of HTTP protocol (as oposed
    to version 1.1, now widely used) which can lead to problems.

    You may give a try to the http proxy included in T-REX. This
    is Apache mod_proxy with additional security features. Now I cannot
    remember whether it can filter Active-X but I am pretty sure
    that it has some filtering capabilities. Just try to check
    the feature list and then test it.

    Hope this helps,
    Josef

    <snip>