Re: [fw-wiz] Open Source HTTP Proxy for Firewall?

From: Jiri Rosenmayer (jiri.rosenmayerat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 00:24:59 PDT

    Jim,

    > We're using Gauntlet 4.x on for one of our corporate firewalls.
    >
    > We're having a problem with *one* particular web site.  For some
    > reason, clients from inside our building trying to use this site are
    > running into all kinds of problems.  (The site in question is
    > http://www.abb-control.com if anybody's interested.)  Page accesses,
    > "hang", etc.  Now I don't know what the problem is with this particular
    > site and Gauntlet's HTTP proxy.  Even Netscape 4.76 and wget, running
    > on my Sun SPARC Solaris box here at home, with no HTTP proxy, have
    > problems with it.  I've asked in comp.infosystems.www newsgroups.  No
    > joy.  I got mixed results from a question posted to the gauntlet-users
    > mailing list--but no solutions.

    Although I'm regular gauntlet-users reader I didn't catch it :-))

    I've one solution for you without using another HTTP proxy.

    Create new plug-gw and bind it on address of the web-server on port 80.
    (At this time its address is 198.113.60.26, so bind address = 198.113.60.26,
    bind port = 80, destination address = 198.113.60.26, dest. port = 80.
    When client request this web, plug proxy receives the request going on
    this address and forward it. Because it plug proxy, it don't misinterpret
    the answer. For every other site, http-gw get the request.
    (You can be very tricky playing with transparancy on gauntlet on BSD/OS,
    because you can bind process on address which isn't any of the
    gauntlet addresses.)

    At least on 4.x on BSDI it will work. If you have Gantlet on Solaris,
    you have to do it other way because on Solaris transparency works
    differently.

    				Jiri