Re: [fw-wiz] stealth ports and IDS

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 08:55:07 PDT

    On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Zen wrote:

    > 	You can ifconfig the interface giving 0.0.0.0 address.

    Some OS' might source packets from that address, that's probably a bad
    idea, no address is better than "0.0.0.0."

    > > mitigate it I am looking at hardware network taps (read only). These
    > > could be the answere but are not that cheap (kind of the whole idea).
    >
    > 	Just crimp an ethernet cable with only the rx couple.

    Most modern switches and cards won't do the right thing without a TX lead
    due to autonegotiation of speed/duplex settings.  You might be able to get
    around it by forcing settings, but it's ceratianly not the sure thing it
    once was.

    Paul