RE: [fw-wiz] stealth ports and IDS

From: Bruce Platt (Bruceat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 09:35:08 PDT

    One can build a stackless kernel for linux.  I've done it.  Using make
    menuconfig, or make xconfig, whatever, remove TCP/IP support from the
    kernel.  May as well remove the other transport layer choices as well.

    You will need a new ifconfig.  I built mine as well as other utilities using
    the net-tools packages.  I have heard that newer releases of RH will provide
    this without using net-tools.

    This is at the heart of hogwash in stealth mode, see:
    http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/ and find the writeup by Michael Karagiannis
    listed  the main page under Stackless Hogwash Howto.

    Regards,

    Bruce