RE: [fw-wiz] stealth ports and IDS

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbeat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 14:46:29 PDT

    On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 13:47, Ben Nagy wrote:
    > This appears to be security urban myth. I (and others) have tried it. It
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > (The problem is that most network devices will not bring up layer 1,
    > because not all the wires are connected.)

    The RO Cable I use works like a charm, so don't be so quick writing it
    off as an urban legend. The only drawback is that you can only use it on
    a plain-old, dumb hub, since my cable fakes the 'missing link' by
    crossing the receive pair back to send. That will confuse the heck out
    of switches (MAC table blow-up), but works fine on a hub.

    In those cases the line you are monitoring can only be half-duplex. If
    you want to monitor full-duplex links, you need to use a switch and
    configure a monitor port (or use taps and pipe their output onto a
    switch with a monitor port).

    If you want a diagram for that cable, let me know (or just look at the
    Snort FAQ).

    Regards,
    Frank