Re: [fw-wiz] Variations of firewall ruleset bypass via FTP

From: Philip J. Koenig (pjklistat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 04:41:32 PDT

    > Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:49:12 -0400 (EDT)
    > From: Paul Robertson <probertsat_private>
    > To: Darren Reed <darrenrat_private>
    > Cc: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olssonat_private>,
    >  <firewall-wizardsat_private>

    > On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Darren Reed wrote:
    >
    > > This deserves more treatment than I have given it because I'm
    > > sure it is a reflection of an attitude people form when they
    > > have no understanding of roles and responsibilities people have,
    > > never mind what "software engineering" is, beyond a simple "hack
    > > on it" mentality.
    >
    > I think you're taking it more personally than you should[1], let me see if
    > I can take a less inflamitory stance...
    >
    > > So your reading, of my saying meaning the "someone else" to be the
    > > users is quite incorrect.  What I said was, literally, quite correct.
    >
    > I think what Mikael's concern was (and he'll pipe up if I'm wrong, I'm
    > sure) is that folks looking at the vuln. note will see "IPFilter- Not
    > vulnerable." and stop there, rather than looking for a Net- or Free-
    > entry.  "Check the specific OS line, or your version number, or upgrade."
    > Might be more helpful too.

    Sorry to overextend this thread, but I just started reading it today.
    (I just ran across the advisory on CERT's page, I haven't been
    reading fwwiz consistently)

    The title of the advisory begins "Multiple vendors' firewalls do
    not.."

    But when I read through it and looked at the vendor list, there was
    only a single vendor listed as "vulnerable".  Everyone else was
    listed as either "not vulnerable" or "unknown".  So logically, where
    does this "Multiple vendors firewalls.." come from?

    When I read an advisory like that, I care much more about finding out
    *when* the problem was fixed, than the fact that a patch from 30
    minutes ago fixed that vendor's vulnerability.  Because as someone
    else mentioned, most of the world isn't running today's release.

    So what I *want* to see, in the initial listing, instead of "not
    vulnerable", is "fixed".  I will then assume that those listed as
    "not vulnerable" were "never" vulnerable, and for the ones listed as
    "fixed" I will drill down further and look at the specific versions
    and dates when the problem was fixed.  The current way that they're
    listed in the CERT advisory, therefore, is *not* helpful to me.  It
    wastes my time, and it gives a false initial impression of what is
    and is not vulnerable.

    --
    Philip J. Koenig
    pjklistat_private