Re:[fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization

From: Brian Ford (brfordat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 15:27:36 PDT

    Joe,

    Hmm.

    >After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
    >that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
    >sufficed.

    So are you saying that most people should buy smaller, less powerful, less
    capable, less expensive Firewalls?  If you are lucky and you never get
    probed or hacked you don't need a Firewall at all.  Right?

    Architecturally, shouldn't the Firewall be a part of your overall network
    design and thus specified based on a wide variety of factors (more than
    just average CPU and memory utilization)?  If your Firewall administers
    policy between a T-1 line and a 10/100 switch then you don't need GigE
    interfaces.  No?

    I don't know if I see your point here?  Where is this going?

    Liberty for All,

    Brian