Re: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 06:56:00 PDT

    On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:
    >
    > > Although this is something that people need to keep in mind when
    > > picking / designing a firewall, I'd argue that anything north of
    > > a stateless packet filter is going to be vulnerable to these sort
    > > of attacks.
    >
    > So will anything south of a firewall- hosts aren't immune to flooding
    > attacks either, with our without state, nor are routers...
    >
    > > If you keep state, you will be vulnerable to state table overflows.
    >
    > I don't know that "overflow" is the right word here, "exhaustion" seems
    > more fitting.
    >
    > When I first looked at this, I kind of shrugged and said "So what?"  the
    > firewall is doing its job- stopping packets when there's an attack-

    Although the second technique mentions the CRC host after the firewall
    attack seems to indicate otherwise, as the packets leave the gateway and
    hit the host, which then rejects the packets.  It's that method that seems
    to be different, and perhaps an issue vendors now need to look into
    dealing with.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    --
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!