Re: Re: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363 (fwd)

From: broydsat_private
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 09:03:53 PDT

    Most hash functions are based on arithmetic modulo a large prime. Most often this prime is chosen to be close to a power of 2 to optimize address space (often a Mersenne prime), but there is not neccessity for it so the secret would be the prime used as hash base. Guessing prime used is non trivial so it provides some security.