Re: Common occurrence in my logs

From: Igor Gashinsky (igorat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 21:45:41 PDT

    Greg,

    	The packets in question aren't bootpc looking for bootps, but
    rather the BootP Server telling the BootP Client what IP it should get.
    (bootps = 67/UDP). Most likely it is your ISP assigning IP's via dhcp to
    its cable modem users.

    It is also possible that another cable modem user has misconfigured his
    machine, so can't jump to any conclusions.

    I would open a ticket with your ISP to confirm if this is their server,
    and if this is so, put in an ipchains rule to stop logging this particular
    deny, if not, they should be able to track down the user responsible via
    his MAC address (which you can get by pinging his machine, and then doing
    an arp -a |grep <IP>).

    Hope this helps,
    -igor

    :: Apr 12 08:58:54 faran kernel: Packet log: eth1i DENY eth1 PROTO=17
    :: 10.0.44.1:67 255.255.255.255:68 L=372 S=0x00 I=9522 F=0x0000 T=255
    :: (#41)

    :: packets are getting dropped.  The packets are UDP, and appear to be
    :: bootstrap protocol clients (bootpc) looking for a server (bootps).

    ---
    Igor Gashinsky, CISSP
    Sr. Network Engineer
    HotJobs.com, Ltd.