Re: Fw: Help with a home computer problem.

From: Chris Ess (azarinat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 08:29:27 PDT

    [snip]

    > Looking up eggdrop on Google, I found out that it's probably a program
    > that would have allowed somebody to use my machine as a proxy for IRC
    > conversations, allowing that person to participate in IRC but with my IP
    > address as an anonymizing intermediary.

    > The only file left after my deletions is the install log:
    > [04/13/01 19:20:10]  SubEgg v3.0a (1.4.2) by Quake_WrZ

    [snip]

    Rather more properly, an eggdrop is a species of IRC bot.  But, yes, it
    does enable the anonymous interaction you type of.  I do not know anything
    in partcular about the SubEgg sub-species (no pun intended) of eggdrop.

    I can come up with two scenarios as to how this occurred.  I'm sure others
    on this list can come up with others.

    My two are:
    * During your downloads, you ran a .exe thinking it was something else.
    * Your machine has been compromised.

    I believe others on this list will probably have other ideas and can offer
    help to determine if your machine has been compromised.

    --CAE  Kujikenaikara!

    Sub caelo noctis sto quod stellae mihi spem dant.

    "Just a whisper.  I hear it in my ghost."
    --Major Matoko Kusanagi, "Ghost in the Shell"