Re: Does anyone recognize this?

From: Daniel Martin (dtmartin24at_private)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 06:17:37 PDT

    Bill Borton <bbortonat_private> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My apologies if this is something obvious/normal/stupid
    >
    > Does anyone recognize this?
    > I have 7 more packets that followed...
    >
    > [**] OVERFLOW-NOOP-X86 [**]
    > 04/12-13:06:18.115861 remote.machine:60151 -> my.machine:2278
    > TCP TTL:49 TOS:0x10 ID:10313  DF
    > *****PA* Seq: 0xA1DC9368   Ack: 0xA0A07E88   Win: 0x7D78
    > TCP Options => NOP NOP TS: 136676210 87196521

    What follows is a portion of one of the binaries from the anaconda
    program, RedHat's new python/gtk-based installation program.
    Specifically, the "modlist" util.

    Let me guess: at the time this occurred you were FTPing in the latest
    RedHat ISO image, or at least were retrieving files out of the source
    tree of anaconda, which seems to include compiled versions of some of
    the C programs.  (see, for example,
    http://www.trustix.net/pub/Trustix/trustix-1.2/i586/misc/src/anaconda/utils/)

    What happened is that snort detected a bunch of executeable code
    flying over the wire, and naturally generated an alert since such
    activity can indicate that someone is force-feeding their own code to
    a program with an exploitable overflow.  However, in this case the
    reason was likely that you were FTPing an uncompressed executeable.

    Note that this wouldn't happen with source RPMs or binary RPMs as
    those contain compressed data.  However, a raw ISO image does contain
    uncompressed versions of programs which are supposed to be executed
    directly from the CD.