Increase in RPC Port scans (portmap probes)

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 21:35:27 PDT

    I too am seeing a huge leap in the amount of portmap probes I am seeing at
    home on a cable network.  In the 4 hours I have seen 8 probes to 111. From
    what I can see just from my own data here is that they are all Linux and
    are all running every service under the sun.

    It could be someone out their gaining more traction with one of the Linux
    worms we have all seen lately or it could be a new variant although I
    doubt it's payload contains a new exploit (for a formerly unknown vuln).

    5 of the eight hosts were in Korea, everyone has been notified.

    VP Engineering
    SecurityFocus.com
    "Vae Victis"