Re: Sustained attack, but seemingly random?

From: Alexander Reelsen (arat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 09:52:24 PDT

    Hi

    I don't think those are random attackes. Vulnerable services/daemons often
    listen on such ports.

    On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Brian Thomas wrote:
    > I'm seeing an interesting attack that's been going on for about a day now
    > from various sites, mostly in Saudi Arabia. I'm a little puzzled because
    > while these sorts of scans are nothing new, it's sustained and hitting
    > some really wierd ports. A list of destination ports culled from the past
    > 24 hours yields:
    >
    > 1024
    NFS

    > 1080
    Wingate, good for relaying/spoofig

    > 110
    pop daemon, qpopper (only old ones)

    > 111
    portmapper (no known vulnerability, but is needed for NFS or rpc.statd,
    where there is a common exploit)

    > 143
    imap (no recent ones, but olders)

    > 19216
    Not sure, might be some windows trojan

    > 21
    ftp, vulnerable old daemons i.e. proftpd, wuftpd

    > 23
    telnet

    > 2766
    > 33696
    > 33807
    > 33848
    > 38061
    Not sure, might be some windows trojan

    > 389
    LDAP. Anyone knows a vulnerability? Perhaps NT ldapd's..

    > 44767
    Not sure, might be some windows trojan

    > 515
    lpd, recent exploit

    > 52
    Not sure, might be some windows trojan

    > 53
    named, "some" exploits :)

    > 555
    sounds like some bindshell or so

    > 6000

    > 79
    fingerd, recently cfingerd

    > Some of the stuff in there (Like 44767) are pretty unique to sscan attacks,
    > so my first thought is it's one of those. But whomever this person / these
    > people is/are they're certainly picking some odd things to probe. The 389
    > is an ldap scan, but 52? 38061? 33XXX > 33600? 19216? I have to say, I'm
    > at a loss. Maybe a customized sscan probe?
    A strange customized scan probe, or it might scan specifically for
    bindshells. That would even save you the work to exploit a service...

    Anyone has a list which worm creates bindshells on what port?

    MfG/Regards, Alexander

    --
    Alexander Reelsen   http://joker.rhwd.de
    refat_private       GnuPG: pub 1024D/F0D7313C  sub 2048g/6AA2EDDB