"Know Your Enemy: Honeynets" and S-ot-M

From: Lance Spitzner (lanceat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 18:15:43 PDT

    Know Your Enemy: Honeynets
    --------------------------
    For several years the Honeynet Project has been
    developing the Know Your Enemy series, which is
    dedicated to the tools, tactics and motives of the
    blackhat community.  We are excited to announce our
    newest release,

               Know Your Enemy: Honeynets

    Instead of focusing on blackhats, this paper focuses
    on Honeynets, our primary tool of information gathering.
    Specifically what a Honeynet is, its value, how to
    build one, and risks/issues involved.  You can find
    this online at

       http://project.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/

    Scan of the Month
    -----------------
    Results for April's Scan of the Month have been released.
    Learn some of the common tools and tactics used by blackhats
    once they attack and compromise an NT server.  We had 23
    submissions this month, with an average of 9 hours of
    analysis for each submission.

      http://project.honeynet.org/scans/scan14/

    Thanks!

    --