My Mysterious Message

From: Mark Challender (MarkCat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 22:57:02 PDT

    This morning, I wrote about a message I received that said
    =====================
    Message:
      Advert your eyes, you're in the presence of voxon.  Be proud for voxon
    has hacked and owned your box.  Indeed, it is true... voxon is god. ;]
    Foolish admin., secure your damn box.  Nothing was damaged that can't be
    fixed in less than an hour.
      Peace,
      voxon
    =====================

    I asked for help.

    Some of you wrote "No mystery....." Others wrote to tell me I should just
    take the box down and re-install the OS.

    Lots of you were very helpful and asked questions.

    1.  Did you look at the header of the message?
    	Couldn't, because the webmaster forwarded the message and deleted
    it.  My fault.  I should have told him to save it.

    2.  Lots of folks asked if I was running Snort.
    	This was an NT box.  Sorry I didn't say that in the original
    message.

    3.  A few of you pointed me to the chkrootkit site www.chkrootkit.org -- it
    was a little help, but not quite what was needed.  Although I did use it to
    determine that I was not rooted.

    4.  Finally, the clues piled up and slammed me in the face.  MSADC and RDC
    or the folder traversal exploit.

    Sure enough, after investigating that directory I found the evidence.  Stuff
    was written there and the MS security warnings said that would happen.  Rain
    Forest Puppy did a good piece on this exploit
    http://project.honeynet.org/scans/scan14/rfp.html and I learned a lot about
    how it happens.

    5.  Some of you suggested fport -- good tool -- showed no unusual ports open
    -- so I assume no netcat or other backdoors.

    6.  I took a chance after learning that voxon was really v0x0n and after
    finding the website in my msadc directory and chatted with the guy on AIM.
    I learned a lot including a list of sites that were also hacked yesterday.
    I plan on contacting those admins and sharing my experience and fixes with
    them.

    Thanks to all who wrote me.

    In all I had 34 emails. I replied to some in response to good questions and
    a genuine desire to help.  I thanked the rest.

    I'm one of two people responsible for maintaining 650 client machines and 14
    servers.  We have almost 1600 users and about 2500 pages in our web site.  I
    manage IIS4, SQL, Exchange 5.5, Proxy (with CARP), RAS, and a lot of
    applications in a single domain (collapsed from four domains three years
    ago) three sit WAN configuration.  We also manage the phone system (routed
    over PTP T1 with add/drop CSUs with our data and maintain the intercom
    systems at 7 buildings)  It's a great job, lots of work, but I love it.

    I tell you the above because some of you may be wondering why didn't "this
    admin" close up the holes before putting the boxes online?  We do what we
    can when we can.  Security and anti-virus has been a huge part of my job in
    the last year and now, it looks like security is going to take center stage.

    By the way.  An excellent tool for scanning Web servers was Webscan by David
    Litchfield.  It gave excellent reports.
    http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/cis.shtml

    Thanks again to the folks that run this excellent list and to those of you
    who helped me.

    Mark Challender
    Network Administrator

    Have you checked your IIS4 box