Spoofed SMB name wildcard probes

From: Yotam Rubin (yotamat_private)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 01:17:54 PDT

    Gentle people,

            Our servers consistently encounter SMB name wildcard probes.
    I observed the first unusual (spoofed) probe at May  1 08:21:19. This probe
    was instantly followed by a valid SMB name wildcard. Are these obvious
    decoys becoming trendy or is it just me?

            As always, relevant packet dumps can be found at:
    http://192.117.130.34/Fendor/security/spoofed-SMB-packets.gz and
    http://192.117.130.34/Fendor/security/spoofed-SMB-packets2.gz
    The snort alerts can be found at:
    http://192.117.130.34/Fendor/security/SMB-snort-alerts

    The spoofed packets usually arrive immediately after some host performs
    a standard probe. Which tool is generating this traffic?
    BTW, I am indeed NAT'ed, but 192.168.0.1 does not exist on our network.

            Regards, Yotam Rubin