Re: IIS Exploit...

From: Brian Caswell (bmcat_private)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 05:47:33 PDT

    Chris Hobbs wrote:

    > Well, not too much info here - regrettably my snort rules file got
    > zeroed out when whitehats.com changed their format. So, all I have is my
    > IIS logs - however, it's pretty straightforward what happened:

    YET ANOTHER REASON NOT TO AUTOMAGICLY UPDATE YOUR RULESET!!!!!!!!!

    Geez.  I don't know how many times I have to say this.  Automagicly
    downloading rulesets for ANYTHING is a very DUMB idea.  If you are
    deploying anything like this and you want automagic updates to your
    sensors, at LEAST pull your rules from a LOCALLY administrated copy.
    And update the LOCAL copy by hand.

    -brian