Re: UDP scan from DNS server?

From: Michael Clark (mdcat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 14:12:55 PDT

    Thanks to all who replied to my query. Actually, I'm not quite as naive as my
    post may have suggested. I have a *basic* understanding of DNS. The thing
    that threw me on this one was the rapid bursts of packets to incremental high
    ports.  I still don't quite understand it but Mr. Brenton shed some light on
    the issue:

    "I see this from time to time. _Usually_ the culprit is the target system
    thinks it already received a reply or timed-out the connection. The DNS
    server is still trying to reply and starts hitting incremental ports
    (remember DNS has no flags to work with so gracefully killing a UDP
    connection can get messy). Usually the attempt dies after and hour or so
    but it depends on the platform the DNS server is using. I've seen HP
    systems continue to retry for months. :)"

    I have taken the advice that most of you provided, and excluded my DNS server
    from in the preprocessor directives for Snort.

    Now, if most IDS's have the same attribute, it occurs to me that hijacking a
    DNS server would be an ideal way to launch attacks against other machines in
    a network.....

    Thanks again for helping me to understand this stuff.

    Michael