Re: Question about port scans

From: Christopher L. Morrow (chrisat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 08:38:17 PDT

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Milliken, Larry wrote:

    > I have a number of port scans in my log for port 42484.  I cannot find any
    > info on trojans/viruses on this..Does anyone know what uses this port?

    You'll notice that the 'source' port for this is 53 and it's TCP, eh? and
    the source address is: 213.68.200.20, eh? I captured a few of these
    packets all were resets.... so I assumed this host was being flooded and
    the traffic I saw was 'backscatter'.

    Looking at the logs I have for this I do notice that the hosts are being
    hit almost sequentially which is strange for most flooders are more random
    than this :(