Re: 2300 FTP accesses from Korea

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 14:35:43 PDT

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:48:41 -0700 Gregory McCann <cambriaat_private>
    wrote:

    > Our log files show that someone at two different Korean ip addresses
    > tried to access our ftp server (ProFTPD 1.2.0) over 2,300 times on
    > Saturday.  What's the point?

    There probably is not point.  This activity probably was not
    intentional.  We have seen incidents like this several times over the
    last few years, in several cases the machine that initiated the
    activity was a cache.

    This is most likely a result of broken software on the orginating
    system.  Hmmm... I have also seen browsers retrying for ages when
    connecting to our main ftp server when we are refusing connections
    because the load is too high.